The PALS course is designed to improve outcomes for pediatric patients by providing pediatric healthcare workers with the knowledge and skills necessary to efficiently and effectively recognize and intervene in respiratory emergencies, shock, and cardiopulmonary arrest.
The course is aimed at professionals who must be credentialed as a requirement for employment or practice.
- Precourse Preparation Checklist: Complete the precourse checklist that came with your 2015 PALS Provider Manual. Bring the checklist with you to the course.
- BLS Competency: Be prepared to pass the Skills Tests for 1-Rescuer and 2-Rescuer Child and Infant BLS with AED. You will not be taught how to do CPR or how to use an AED during the course. You must know this in advance. The resuscitation scenarios require that your BLS skills and knowledge are current. Review and understand all 2015 BLS guidelines, especially as they relate to pediatric patients. You may find this information in the BLS Provider Manual.
- Complete the Precourse Self-Assessment, print out your score and bring it with you to the PALS Course. This test consists of 3 sections: ECG rhythm identification, Pharmacology, and Practical Application. Use this assessment to identify areas where you need to increase your knowledge.
- PALS Algorithms and Flowcharts: Be familiar with the PALS algorithms and flowcharts so that you can apply them to clinical scenarios. Note that the PALS Course does not present the details of each algorithm.
- Supplement Your Knowledge: Review and understand the information in the PALS Provider Manual and on the Pre-course Assessment. Pay particular attention to the Systematic Approach to Pediatric Assessment, the Evaluate-Identify-Intervene Model, and the Management of Respiratory and Circulatory Abnormalities.You should prepare for the course as fol
Suggested text and learning
All students are required to bring the 2010 PALS Provider Manual to class. You may purchase it as an add-on when you register for your class on our website. You can also call, email, or stop by our Downtown Santa Cruz location to purchase your book directly from our student store. The AHA also has eBooks available for purchase for ACLS, BLS & PALS! Click the button below to purchase and download your PALS eBook.